July 26, 2020
Today’s Reading: Acts 4:36-5:11
Then Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the proceeds from the field? Wasn’t it yours while you possessed it? And after it was sold, wasn’t it at your disposal? Why is it that you planned this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God!”
Come to our Sunday Outdoor Worship Service OR Listen to Rev. Solomona’s sermon from today’s 10AM Sunday Worship Livestream on our Facebook Page, www.facebook.com/ccmla. Reflect on the Text Notes and Life Notes below.
Discuss these points in our online Life Group, Mondays at 7:30PM via Zoom. (Go to the “Connect” tab at the top of our blog page for the link to our Zoom meeting.)
Sermon Main Idea: Do not be fooled. Stay focused on God.
- Joseph of Cyprus (v.36-37)
- Nicknamed ‘Barnabas’ = Son of Encouragement
- Sold a field he owned
- Gave full control of the profit to the apostles
- Ananias and Sapphira (v.1-2)
- Sold a piece of property
- Kept back (ἐνοσφίσατο) part of the proceeds
- Pretended to bring the whole amount
- Peter confronts Ananias (v.3-6)
- Ananias was not required to bring all his profit
- Ananias’ lie to the Church was a lie to God
- When confronted with his sin, Ananias falls and dies
- Peter confronts Sapphira (v.7-11)
- Sapphira rejected the chance to tell the truth
- Sapphira tested God’s holiness
- When confronted with her sin, Sapphira falls and dies
- God desires obedience more than sacrifice. How does obedience lead to sacrifice in a way that sacrifice cannot lead to obedience? Why is obedience so much harder than sacrifice?
- Do not be fooled—you cannot fool God. Why do we try to fool God? How does trying to fool God make us look foolish?
- Live to praise, not to be praised. How does praising God prevent us from praising ourselves? What is the difference between seeking affirmation and seeking praise?
Prayer: Sovereign God, You are Omnipotent and Omniscient. Nothing is hidden from You. I pray that You would help me to see my shortcomings and examine my thoughts before You. Cleanse me of character and habits that are not of You, that all I offer to You would truly bring You glory. In Jesus’ Name, AMEN.
Thru the Bible in a year (credit: Biblestudytools.com): Matthew 26:26-46; Deuteronomy 1-2; Job 4