October 11, 2020
Today’s Reading: Acts 8:9-24
But when they believed Philip as he proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Come to our Sunday Worship Service OR Listen to Rev. Solomona’s sermon from today’s 10AM Sunday Worship Livestream on our Facebook Page, www.facebook.com/ccmla.
Reflect on the Notes below in our Life Group Zoom, Mondays at 7:30PM.
Sermon Main Idea: The Church is about Christ, not about self.
- Serving Self vs. Serving God (v.9-13)
- Simon uses sorcery to draw people to himself.
- Philip preaches the Gospel to point people to Christ.
- Samaritans Affirmed to Serve God (v.14-17)
- Peter & John commission the Samaritans with the Holy Spirit.
- Simon’s Selfish Desire (v.18-24)
- Simon wants clout, not Christ.
- Peter rebukes Simon and calls him to repent.
Life Note: Seek Christ because you want Him, not because you want from Him.
- What is your view of God when you seek Him for selfish purposes?
- How do we seek God for the things we need without being selfish?
- Why is ‘self-improvement’ a poor motivation for seeking Christ?
- What should motivate our seeking and serving of Christ?
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for reminding me of the purpose of Your Church. Thank You for the people in my life that You have used to exhort me in continuing on in Your work for Your Namesake. I pray that You help me to encourage others to share about Your Truth, that I may live in boldness for the sake of Your Gospel Message. In Your Precious Name I pray, AMEN.
Thru the Bible in a year (credit: Biblestudytools.com): Mark 5:1-20; 2 Samuel 13; Daniel 7